Monday, September 29, 2008

TROUBLE ON THE MTA...


Dear MTA Manager,

I am a visually impaired person who travels with a guide dog. I regularly ride Metro Busses and Rail services in order to travel around Los Angeles. Up until today, I had never had a service dog access related problem with one of your Bus Drivers. When I attempted to board Metro-Rapid Line 761 at the Westwood Blvd./Lindbrook Drive bus stop at approximately 3:00 pm Sunday September 28, 2008, I was confronted by your driver who demanded that I prove that my guide dog was a legitimate service dog or he would not let me on the bus with him. Please keep in mind that my dog was in his harness and that I worked him up to the door of the bus to board. Apparently, your driver is unaware that a guide dog harness is a restricted item that cannot be purchased by the general public and remains the property of the guide dog school that issued it. Any dog wearing a mobility harness is supposed to be automatically accepted as a service dog because there is no way for anyone to obtain a harness unless they have graduated from a guide dog program, which both my guide dog Dobbs and I have. I do travel with my Guide Dog Handlers License issued by Guide Dogs for the Blind but have never had to present it because, in the past, your drivers have always understood that the harness was proof of legitimacy. Had this situation risen to the level where it was necessary for me to bring out my Handler’s License, I would have however, after a brief disagreement, the driver relented (unhappily) and let me board the bus. My issue is that this driver needs to be reminded or made aware of what a guide dog harness is and that any dog wearing a guide dog harness is a legitimate service dog and should not be questioned.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.


UPDATE SEPTEMBER 29, 2008:

"We certainly regret the incident. Due to the number of 761
buses that operator in the area, can you please confirm the 4-digit bus
number.

Metro Customer Relations
(213) 922-6235"


I'm sorry that I cannot. I am not really able to read the identifying information on the outside of the busses due to my visual impairment.



UPDATE ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2008:

Thank you. We will go ahead and forward your email to the Division for
this line. That way management can review procedures with all the
drivers.


Metro Customer Relations
(213) 922-6235

No comments: