Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'M WITH HIM...


Let’s get it all on the table up front; Dobbs is a rock star. He’s gentle, friendly, affectionate and diligent. He works incredibly hard, rarely makes a mistake and really watches out for my well-being wherever we go together and people notice.

Whether we’re on the bus, in the grocery store, at the mall, waiting in a reception area or just walking down the street, people actively go out of their way to engage with me about Dobbs. He’s a people magnet. I’ve lived in my current apartment for over seven years and until I got Dobbs, I had hardly met any of my neighbors. Now I know all of them. At times the attention he draws can be overwhelming. It’s always the same kinds of questions: How old is he? How long have the two of you been together? How much training has he had? Did you have to pay for him? and so on. It’s not that I mind answering people’s questions, because I don’t. Having a guide dog makes you an ambassador for the guide dog program and in a way you are always on display when you’re working your dog. It’s just that sometimes I begin to feel as if I’m Dobbs’ publicist fielding all of the inquiries from his adoring fans; and believe me; he has a lot of fans out there in the general public.

Don’t get me wrong; Dobbs is the best thing that ever happened to me. His presence in my life has made all the difference. I get out of my apartment a lot more. I’m not afraid to travel places because I know he’s with me. The likelihood that something bad will happen is infinitesimal. Not to mention that he’s also my best buddy and I adore him. I love it when I’m sitting on the sofa at home and he lies down next to me putting his head in my lap so I can stroke his ears. He lets out a big sigh of contentment that melts my heart. He also loves to play tug and fetch relentlessly but I don’t mind. I really enjoy all the time that I spend with him. The effort that properly caring for him takes is not a burden. After all, he takes such good care of me that he deserves nothing but the best. At this point, I can't imagine not having him in my life.

Maybe it’s the close bond between us that attracts all the attention from people. I’d like to think so. I’d like to think it’s more than the fact that Dobb’s is an amazing dog that attracts all the attention. But, at the end of the day that may be all it is. Perhaps it is Dobbs’ world and I just live in it. If that's the way it is, that's okay. Dobbs' world is a great place to live...

No comments: