Saturday, November 29, 2008

AN AFTERNOON AT THE GETTY...


Dobby and I went to the Getty Center (between the time I had the cold and first pulled my back) and I've been chomping at the bit to tell you about the experience. Confidentially, Dobby and I have been there together several times and the staff at the museum really loves it when I bring him by for a visit. They are always so amazed at how well behaved Dobby is, so confident in fact that the security staff at the museum no longer follows us around to make sure that he isn't accidently walking me into the priceless exhibits; which is a real act of faith because, unlike most other museums, at The Getty, you are allowed to walk right up to the artwork with no ropes or barriers of any kind between you and the masterworks. The Getty Center is, after all, America's equivalent of The Louvre and it's such a remarkable experience to be able to go there with my dog.

It's an unusual feeling working Dobbs through the galleries, pausing to stand and admire paintings by the likes of Rembrant and Rubins (with my monocular). Dobby, sits patiently at my side waiting for me to finish. Occasionally he lets out a groan of boredom so I try not to linger in the galleries for too long of a time. Dobby is so diligent and I'm amazed that he doesn't get fidgety walking ten feet then stopping then walking ten more feet and stopping. He likes the walking around the museum part but the stopping and staring at paintings and sculpture part he could do without.

The Getty has an amazing outdoor sculpture garden and Dobby loves working through and around it. There's a little stream with bridges and a winding path through a grassy field that he particularly enjoys the challenge of negotiating for me. The path was designed with sharp switch backs that wander down the hillside of the garden. He also enjoys sitting on their outdoor veranda soaking up the scene while I sip a soda and take a break.

Confidentially, I think that, in part, he enjoys The Getty so much because of all the attention he gets from people while we're there. I can't begin to tell you the number of times that people (visiting The Getty from all corners of the world) have expressed surprise and pleasure over seeing a guide dog at the museum. I think Dobby fits right in with all the masterpieces on display. He's pretty darn special and I enjoy giving him a chance to really show off what he can do. I'm looking forward to our next visit...

11 comments:

Lydia Denali said...

I had never heard of the Getty before, thanks for sharing! Yeah, it sure does sound like Dobby loves beinga walking masterpiece.

I'd love to see a post about your lifestory, your careers. Are you a journalist?

Anonymous said...

Hi Robby,

I loved this post! Could I share it and your photo of Dobby on the Getty's blog? You can find us here:
http://gettylens.wordpress.com

Many thanks for a lovely post. I hope to see you and Dobby here again soon!

Vicki Porter
Web Manager
The J. Paul Getty Trust

Robby-Dobby said...

I'm flattered Vicki, thank you. Please feel free to share my post on the Getty's blog...

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Robby,

Thanks so much! I'm hoping to post about you and Dobby on Monday.

All best wishes and thanks.

Vicki

Anonymous said...

Hi Robby,
It's up! You can see the post here:
http://gettylens.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/art-appreciation-for-dogs/

Thanks so much for sharing. And happy holidays to both of you!

Vicki

Amelia Wong said...

Hi Robby,
I am writing because a blog post you wrote was featured in the Getty Center’s blog, A Different Lens. I’m hoping you might be willing to participate in an online survey about that experience. I am collecting information about people’s opinions of the blog as part of my dissertation research as a doctoral candidate in the Department of American Studies at the University of Maryland.

The survey will take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete, depending on the length of your answers. Or, if you would like to participate in this research but prefer to be interviewed over the phone, please write me at awong22@umd.edu.

To proceed to the survey, please visit: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Gr01G_2bifGRmgYxJinnQkgw_3d_3d

Thank you in advance for your help and time. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at awong22@umd.edu.

Best regards,
Amelia Wong
Doctoral Candidate
University of Maryland
Department of America Studies
1102 Holzapfel Hall
College Park, MD 20742
www.amst.umd.edu
awong22@umd.edu

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

good day friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for that exact make. The prices seeking the shoes were about 330 bucks everwhere. But finally I found this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

i surely enjoy all your posting kind, very exciting,
don't give up as well as keep posting simply because it simply very well worth to look through it,
impatient to look over much of your own content, stunning day!

Anonymous said...

Becoming much more practical relating to your expectations in your life can help to ease your major depression. Lots of occasions you could feel downward due to the fact things are not turning out the way you had hoped or arranged. Should you look at the specific situation, you could often realize that the genuine problem is that you had just set up your requirements unreachably substantial. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Biuyu656gy[/url]